Thanks need to go out to Snarky Sweets for the Pepperoni Pizza Bites recipe posted there. I was looking for an appetizer to keep hubby and I from going too hungry before dinner on New Year’s Eve this year, and despite them being set up as appetizers, they really turned into a meal unto themselves!
Of course, I altered the recipe based on what ingredients I had on hand, so I’m reposting with my own adjustments.
- 1 to 1.5 bags of store-bought pizza dough of your choosing
- 1.5 cups mozzarella cheese, diced up into tiny cubes or shredded
- 1 link Westfaler smoked sausage (you can use pepperoni, Turkey Bites or omit the meat entirely if you wish), finely cubed
- extra virgin olive oil
- seasonings: dried oregano, dried basil, garlic powder
- finely shredded parmesan & asiago cheeses
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Divide the dough into 20-24 equal parts (I got about 28 or so out of 1.5 bags of pizza dough). Roll each piece out and fill with a little bit of cheese and a little bit of meat. (Or you can roll the whole thing out if you have a large amount of counter-top space — I don’t — and then divide the dough up.)
- Pull the edges together, pinching the dough. Place seam-side down in a non-stick-sprayed casserole dish. (Alternately, you can pull over three sides, pinching, then roll it to seal up the last side. This will form a ‘spiral’ on two sides in the dough.)
- Repeat for all of the rolls.
- Lightly brush the tops with extra virgin olive oil. Sprinkle with the seasonings and cheese.
- Bake for about 18-20 minutes, depending on your own oven, or until the tops are a nice golden brown.
- Serve with pizza or marinara sauce (I prefer mine at room temperature or slightly chilled).