Over the weekend, we were enjoying our slow cooker BBQ pulled chicken tacos, but I am one who enjoys variety. So while hubby napped, I decided to indulge in a dish I know he’s not a fan of: a grilled cheese sandwich. But not any old grilled cheese: amped up grilled cheese.
I took a cue from Gorilla Cheese‘s Bubba sandwich, which is cheddar, pulled pork and coleslaw and put together a sandwich that couldn’t quite compare but was still enjoyable.
- leftover BBQ pulled chicken
- 2 slices of your favourite bread (I used light rye)
- leftover shredded cheese from our tacos (or just shred some up)
- leftover shredded lettuce
- Pre-heat your pan on low-medium. Pre-heat the chicken.
- Lightly butter one side of eachpiece of bread. Place each slice, butter-side down into the pan.
- Carefully pile half of your cheese on one piece of bread, then the other half on the other. Put a lid on the pan and leave alone for 3-4 minutes until the cheese is mostly melted. Make sure that the heat is on the lower side of low-medium, so it doesn’t burn the bread before everything’s melted.
- Remove the lid and place some chicken (not too much!) onto one side of the sandwich. This will be the “bottom” of the sandwich.
- Place some shredded lettuce on top of the chicken, then place the “top” of the sandwich on top. By this time, the bread should be nice and golden by this point.
- Remove from heat and cut the sandwich in half with a large, sharp knife.
- Serve with a handful of potato chips.