I know I shouldn’t be eating so close to bedtime, but sometimes you get so hungry that you just know know you’re not going to sleep. Tonight was one of those nights and I found myself scrounging for something that would make the hunger go away that wasn’t just junk food. Here’s what I found: bread & eggs.
I could just fry up two eggs and toast some bread, but I thought: Egg in the Hole!! What the heck is that, you say? Did you see V for Vendetta? If you did, remember that fried toast breakfast with the egg in the middle that V makes for Evie? Oh, and Gordon Dietrich makes it for her as well and called it “Eggie in a basket”, if memory serves me. Anyway, that’s what I made tonight.
- 2 eggs
- 2 slices bread
- salt & pepper to taste
- Use a cookie cutter to cut out a hole in each slice of bread and set aside.
- Melt some butter (a couple of teaspoons) in a pan (or on a griddle) on low-medium heat.
- Once it just starts to form tiny little bubbles, set the two pieces of bread and their “holes” in your pan. Press the bread down gently so that it’s laying flat on the pan or griddle surface.
- After a moment, crack an egg (carefully) into each hole and fry for about 2 minutes. Sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper to taste over the eggs.
- Carefully flip all pieces of bread and cook the eggs how you prefer it. Add additional butter to the pan if it is needed but don’t over-saturate it, or the bread might get soggy. I like my eggs “over easy” with some runny yolk for dipping those “holes”, so I only cook about a minute or so on the other side.
- Gently flip back over onto the original side onto a plate and serve with the two “holes” for dipping in the yolk.
What’s your late-night go-to meal or snack to combat that hunger that just won’t go away and insists on distracting you from your sleep?