In my quest for low carb-friendly comfort foods, I got thinking about the things I loved when I was a child. One of those things was my mom’s beef barley soup. It was to die for! I miss that soup and wanted to capture that again, except that I had no beef in the house for it. Broth, yes. Meat, no. Well, why not make it without the meat? Despite there being no meat in it, I found this soup to be insanely satisfying and filling. Next time, I might even add some more veggies, like broccoli and cauliflower to add some texture to it. Here’s what I did:
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 C carrots, cut into coins (I used baby carrots)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 Tbsp dried rosemary leaves (ground up a bit finer in a mortar and pestle)
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 Tbsp paprika
- 2 tsp Mrs Dash Table Blend seasoning
- 1/2 C white wine (optional: could use water or broth)
- 3 Tbsp Bullseye Guinness Barbecue Sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 C pearl barley (uncooked)
- 4 C low sodium beef broth
- 6 C water + 1 Knorr’s Homestyle beef stock ‘pot’ (could use 6 more cups of reduced sodium beef broth but I ran out)
- 1.5 C shredded cabbage
- 1 C frozen peas
- 1/2 can corn niblets
- In a large Dutch oven pot, melt butter and heat oil over a medium heat.
- Add onions and saute until they start to soften.
- Add the carrots, celery, rosemary, thyme, paprika, Mrs Dash & stir to mix. Cook for 2-3 minutes until vegetables get soft.
- Deglaze with the wine (or water/broth).
- Add barbecue sauce, Worcestershire, barley, broth, water, stock pot and cabbage.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat, cover and simmer for about 25 minutes.
- Add peas and corn and heat through another 5 minutes or so.
- Serve piping hot!
You should be able to freeze this in small portions to take to work for lunches through the week and just microwave it.
Warning: You might want to choose not to add corn. I find that second day, the corn overpowers the broth flavouring, making it -very- sweet. Up to you!
Makes: Approximately 12 servings
Serving: About 1 cup