Last week, there was one morning that I woke up feeling rotten. I don’t know if it was the beginning of the summer cold I appear to have now, or if it was just a bad case of combined sinus headache and allergy attack. Either way, I contacted my boss to say I wouldn’t be in, then went right back to bed. Sometime around lunch, I woke up and stumbled into the kitchen to see about food, before I had to go back to bed.
The omelet I made was just what the doctor ordered. Here’s what I did:
- 1 Tbsp butter
- handful of white mushrooms, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 slice reduced sodium turkey bacon (reduced sodium), chopped
- 1/3 tsp garlic powder
- 1/3 tsp onion powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp skim milk
- 1/4 tsp Mrs. Dash table blend
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 2 slices PC Blue Menu – Sliced Swiss Light Cheese
- Over medium heat, melt butter. Add mushrooms, onion and turkey bacon and saute until onions begin to soften and bacon is cooked through. Season with garlic & onion powder.
- Beat together in a mixing bowl the eggs and milk. Pour this mixture over the veggies and turkey bacon in the pan.
- Use a rubberized spatula to push/lift some of the egg away from the side, tilting the pan to allow some of the uncooked egg to run beneath. Repeat this at intervals around the circumference of the pan until all the egg is nearly set.
- Season with Mrs. Dash and pepper.
- Lay the cheese over one half of the omelet and use the spatula to fold the omelet over in half, over the cheese-covered side.
- Give it a moment until the cheese begins to melt, then transfer the omelet to a plate.
- Serve with cherry tomatoes or tomato slides on the side.
Nutritional value (minus the tomatoes): 460 calories, 12g carbs, 29g fat, 29g protein, 457mg sodium, 1g sugars