This is fresh-tasting with a bigger spice-kick than I expected (I generally reach for the mild salsa, so this is probably on the upper limit of mild for most people). You can taste the ingredients, not the salt. I think I prefer it, to be honest.
YMMV, however. Spruce this one up how you like it. Add more or less than what you see and don’t be afraid to experiment. Here’s what I did:
- 4 large beefsteak tomatoes
- 4 tsp minced garlic
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds and ribs removed, finely chopped (for my own tastes, I might cut back to half a pepper next time!)
- 3/4 of a white onion, finely chopped
- 1 ‘one sweet pepper’ yellow mini bell pepper (or 1/4 of a regular pepper)
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro (next time, I might cut back to 1 Tbsp of cilantro, as it’s very strong for me)
- 1.5 Tbsp ground cumin
- 2.5 tsp lime juice
- 2 tsp Mrs Dash Table Blend
- 1-2 pinches of salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Cut up one of the tomatoes and puree it in your blender or food processor. Leave some chunks.
- Chop up the other three tomatoes, trying to keep the chunks small-ish. Throw all tomatoes into a large mixing bowl.
- Once the peppers, onion and cilantro are chopped up, throw that in with the tomatoes.
- Add the minced garlic, cumin, lime juice, Mrs Dash, salt & pepper. Mix well with a spoon.
- Serve right away or refrigerate for later use.
Makes: approximately 6 cups (about 12 servings)
Nutritional value per 1/2 cup serving: 23 calories, 5g carbs, 0g fat, 1g protein, 14mg sodium, 2g sugar
Paired with Garden Fresh Gourmet Unsalted Tortilla Chips (available at Metro), this makes for a fantastic snack that won’t kill your sodium intake.